Monday, February 24, 2014

Birthdays and other such things

Another year come and gone. I can't believe it's been a year since celebrating my last birthday, more since we were in the Philippines, and all of the crazy things that happened in between. Another birthday means it's officially been three years since I left the US of A. I miss it sometimes - food especially, hence my cooking kick, I imagine - but I'm still so happy to have done this with my life. When I first got here, I didn't plan on turning 30 here, but only 364 more days to go.

Friday was tame, celebrating my old roommate's, who shares my birthday, time with a fancy dinner at Trois Gourmaund, which may well be spelled wrong and frankly I just don't care. The food, all in all, was rather delicious, but we have all since agreed that I will die if I ever go to France for a long period of time. Palate cleanser (egg and truffle ice cream/sorbet), pre-appetiser dish (warm egg and truffle souffle), palate cleanser (weird flavour I can't remember), appetiser (salmon tartar with cheese), palate cleanser (tomato and basil ice cream/sorbet), main course (steak with vegetable quiche), (very stinky) cheese platter, and dessert (peach something or other which was my favourite of it all). So much food, so many WEIRD foods, I will not go back and France and I won't be meeting for a while longer.

Saturday our favourite outdoor park/bar had a melting pot of music, food, clothing, art, and knickknacks - always a time well spent. This bit of day drinking hurriedly came to a close when Dan said, We have to go, and you have to change. Knowing my birthday was just the next day, I was sure he had something up his sleeve, but couldn't be sure what. Our evening panned out as a seven bar venture set over seven hours in golf gear. It was great fun full of pars and mini challenges in the walk to the next location. In the end, only four of us were left standing until three or so in the morning, but I had a great time and well appreciate Dan's effort and everyone coming out to help celebrate.

Originally I was going to plan the same thing for myself, but the idea of putting it all together after having just planned Dan's birthday, I simply decided to have champagne brunch at the InterContinental. Two handfuls of us made out for this lovely and gaining in expense treat. I certainly had my fill of champagne and learned that 29 is in fact NOT remotely the same as 25, woof. All in all, despite minor hiccups, it was a birthday well celebrated

The best news of all and most celebrated bit: I got a job! I'm the new copywriter for branding agency QUO, based in Bangkok with a satellite office in HCMC. The first two months are probationary, as is the norm here, but if all goes well it'll be full time with bennies and the works. Whoop. I start on March 3. And now, I am celebrated out. Happy days.

Update: Check out my cool new painting, courtesy of the mister. Audrey: great. Breakfast at Tiffany's: great. Painting: new fave.

No comments:

Post a Comment