Friday, March 30, 2012

Let's visit the hospital!

I'm in the hospital - but it's not what you think. My friend Dan got in a motorbike accident yesterday and needs pins in his ankle.

It's really weird being on this side of the waiting - it's been so long since it wasn't me. So much love and respect for everyone that sat through it for me. Also funny, I'm crazy tired, it's 2 am on a school night as I like to call them, though I'm not in school, but Dan's been passed out for like five hours while I've been fretting about what happens next in this Vietnamese bone hospital where no one speaks English except he and I, while also managing the threat of a panic attack, which I'm sure has very little to do with Dan's health and everything to do with how disgusting this place feels to me. There's a guy smoking in the waiting room next to me, just 5 metres from the door to where people's limbs are nearly falling off. Oh, hi little cockroach! No, we cannot be friends.

The bed next to Dan has been occupied by three different people (that I've seen) since we've been here waiting. No one's bothered to change the sheets and there's a blood stain that has been there since before I arrived, it's slowly turning brown and no one seems to have noticed or care except me.

Having someone close to me get in such an accident and have to come to a place like this has definitely scared me straight about driving, even if most of the things that happen to me are while parked. But I have to admit, despite the utter disgust and stomach churning things going on around here, I'd rather get fixed here than anywhere else - it's all they do: fix up battered motorbike drivers.

Gonna try and catch some z's while Dan's in surgery. Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment