Sunday, July 10, 2011

Motorbike lesson!

Robin just taught me to drive a motorbike! I'm still buzzing from the nerves and excitement, but I think it went pretty well. There weren't any other drivers around, so it wasn't real driving, but it was pretty exciting. I haven't driven in over five months, and while similar to a car, it's not much like a car at all. I'm still struggling with the concept of the gas being on the handle, the foot break, and switching gears; I almost toppled over once - into garbage - but all went well and no crashes. I'll be out on the streets in no time.

I now understand why the Vietnamese have such great leg and arm muscles, that thing was really heavy, I'll have to get a lighter one than his. I might also just wimp out and get an automatic. But I'm really excited about the whole thing. My tutoring starts this week, so it'll be nice to go downtown and rent a bike after that because there will be less traffic... I'm not quite ready for the idea of rush hour, especially when you throw in the "Saigon Kiss" which is a burn from the exhaust pipe somewhere on the lower half of your leg or foot. But, those can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere... even walking down the street. Sidewalks are fair game for pedestrians and motorbike drivers here. I know a lot of xe om drivers that will be disappointed to lose my business... but life goes on.

Have a nice week! <3 L

No comments:

Post a Comment